DJ Notoya teams up with the UK label WeWantSounds to bring us two LPs of City Pop from the Nippon Columbia catalog. Tokyo Glow features songs from Cromulent Favorites such as Hiroshi Sato and Hitomi "Penny" Tohyama, as well as other City Pop artists that haven't garnered as much attention stateside (yet).
As you'd expect from a DJ of Notoya's stature, this LP works as both a mix as well as a wonderful introduction (or deeper dig,) into the world of City Pop. Notoya doesn't focus on the massive tracks that appear on many of the YouTube playlists that serve as an introduction. Instead he says he "focused more on the slightly more underground tracks from the era, rather than the bigger, well-known releases. For me that was a more fun and satisfying approach."
This approach makes for two LPs that can be put on while relaxing at home, as a soundtrack to a social gathering or a source for your own City Pop mix. This versatility means that Tokyo Glow will disappear fast, so grab a copy before we sell out. Even if it gets repressed, it'll take a while to get here!
- Kumi Nakamura - Kimagure
- Miyuki Maki - Indo No Michibata
- Haruyoshi Yamashina - Osake To Joke
- Sumiko Yamagata - Natsu No Hikari Ni
- Hatsmui Shibata - Party Is Over
- Makoto Iwabuchi - Moonlight Flight
- Hiroshi Sato - Saigo No Tejina
- Arakawa Band - Paradise's Dream
- New Generation Company - I Wander Around All Alone (Part III)
- Kiyohiko Ozaki - Ojosan Oteyawarakani
- Ken Nishiizaki - Koi No Paradigm
- Jadoes - Simply Another Love
- Midori Hara - Aamar Jabar
- Hitomi "Penny" Tohyama - Tuxedo Connection
- Mizuki Koyama - Oh! Daddy
- Haruo Chikada & Vibra-Tones - Soft Bed Blues
- Mitsuko - Horie - Chigasaki Memory